Friday, May 22, 2009

something I regret

On my last day during a trip to Greece a long time ago, following my illegal activities on Kos, I wandered around the Plaka in Athens before catching my flight home.

I passed a Greek Priest in street vestments. He had a kind face and we exchanged smiles. I turned into a music store and exited a short while later to find him waiting for me. He asked me, in Greek, if I would buy him an orange juice.

I understood him perfectly (I had been studying modern Greek) but I pretended I did not, mostly because I didn't understand why a kind Greek priest would ask me to buy him an orange juice. And it frightened me.

I shook my head and continued on. He looked sad and mystified.

His memory will sometimes materialize for no good reason; a regret that nags at me like his unslaked thirst.

1 comment:

anniemcq said...

sometimes we do things like that not because we are unkind, but because some instinct is trying to keep us safe. You've written here about experiences you've had that didn't turn out as well.

I remember that you brought me back some beautiful candles and honey. It's a kindness that I will treasure always.

Related Posts with Thumbnails