Monday, April 21, 2008

pretty good politickin'

Clickthrough to read Obama's letter


Y'all know I've griped about the apparent unresponsiveness of the Obama campaign office before (via email, anyway).

Well, I'm retracting a small share of my crankiness due to the following email, received from a colleague, which left me all warm and fuzzy (I'm sharing it here with his permission):
Hi,
Some of you know that I went home last weekend to PA for my mother’s 80th birthday. I found out that Obama was speaking at a nearby college that weekend and was, in fact, going to be staying at the same hotel in Harrisburg where we were having a Sunday brunch for her. My mom, a long time Republican, is now a huge, huge Obama fan. I had no idea when he’d be at the hotel exactly but I sent a detailed letter to the Obama web site (addressed to Barack) talking about my mother, her life, her rise from poverty that mirrored his own, etc., and said it would mean so much to her if there was anyway he could stop by the party if he happened to be in the hotel at the time.

Unfortunately I only got that idea a week before the party and I knew it was a very long shot that anything would come of it. Indeed I never even got a response to my email. I wasn’t surprised or offended because I know they get a ridiculous volume of email.

But yesterday my mother got, in the actual mail, the attached letter from Barack Obama. It’s not a form letter; it actually refers to various facts I put in my note to the campaign and beautifully connects my mother’s personal story with his main campaign themes. I have no illusion that he actually wrote it, or even signed it, but I thought it was a grand gesture that someone in the campaign went to so much trouble.

You can’t imagine how excited and touched my mother is by this. :-)

Dave

Read Obama's Letter »

2 comments:

bobcat rock said...

Damn, that's good. Clever stuff.

mrtn said...

That's what his actual signature does look like - I googled - but it's one that's easy to fake.

Related Posts with Thumbnails