Wednesday, August 20, 2008

first airplane that landed in denver, 1910

embiggen »


This shot, all 4 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches of it, is the reason I bought the catalog for Crossing the Frontier: Photographs of the Developing West, 1849 to the Present.

I caught the show at SFMOMA shortly after they opened the new building. The book's copyright reads 1996 which sounds about right.

Came across the catalog over the weekend when I tore apart two of the five bookshelves in the living room (we're painting. the other three, Bompa's bookshelves, come down this week to finish the job). Dipped into it to visit my old friend, photographer unknown.

It has everything that appeals to me in a well-made photograph: Story. Simple lines and forms that verge on the abstract. The kind of composition that pulls you into the frame; makes the moment your own.



Also rediscovered, through the catalog, the work of Robert Adams and learned of his 1977 collection Denver, which I went scrambling to find online, only to uncover half a dozen copies ranging in price from $500 to just under a thousand.

So I settled on a copy of The New West for a tidy $24.95 (on eBay, baby. haven't you heard? they're trying to give Amazon a run for their money.).

p.s. To be fair, the true dimensions of the photograph are 4 7/16 x 3 7/16 inches. But "sixteenths" just doesn't flow like half. So I fudged.

2 comments:

p2wy said...

I'm a bit fond of the sixteenths, but perhaps that's my college music theory classes talking. Terrific shot.

anniemcq said...

Oh, wow. I love the way all their heads, and their hats, tip to look up at the plane. Must have been something to see.

Related Posts with Thumbnails