Saturday, August 16, 2008

hear the falls roar

hear the falls roar

Classic Grama story, which I’ve heard countless times: She and my Bompa were dating. They daytripped up to the magnificent Snoqualmie Falls in the Cascade Range (my Bompa loved to daytrip; loved to drive). Parked the car.

As they made their approach to the Falls, which were still out of sight, my Grama exclaimed: “Oh! Hear the Falls roar!”

At last they arrived at the Falls. Which were not roaring.

It may have been that there was no rainfall; it may have been that the diversionary dam was doing its job too well. Grama reports a small trickle. No roar. And utter embarrassment.

My grandfather must have found it charming somehow, because they wound up married anyway.

(God I miss hearing her tell her stories.)

Took this holga somewhere in Mexico. It was a wonderful undulating unending cascade of falls from one to the next spanned by slippery foot bridges. Swallows darted in and out of the falls into the cool caves that they lived in behind the cascades.

It was lovely.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails