Tuesday, August 05, 2008

miss you.

miss you.
miss you.
Originally uploaded by suttonhoo
I took some brief snapshots of Grama at her birthday party. Looking at them last night I wished I hadn't.

She looks so lost and small and far away. The laughter and the light in her eyes are gone. That big explosion of love that comes when we meet and that I expect as a matter of course -- accompanied by loud exclamations and hugs and giggling chatter -- none of that happened when I saw her this last time. How could it? She didn't know me.

But this one I'm glad for. It's hanging in my aunt's master bedroom, which is why the contents of her closet are reflected in the glass. J said Grama hated this shot -- maybe she didn't like her hair, her dress. Who knows.

I love it because I can see the light in her eyes.


Update: Dug up this old YouTube clip for the same reason. For some reason it won't fire from YouTube proper but seems to play here just fine. And so I've been looping it too much: to see my Grama sentient again, to see her eyes on me, knowing that she's loved.

The story of how this clip came to be is here »

7 comments:

I, Rodius said...

I caught the link to the health care video, but when I came back it was gone. I'm glad I caught it. You're making me cry. I hope you feel good thoughts pointed at you over here.

bobcat rock said...

so sad, so beautiful. thinking of you & yours. much love. r

Enyasi said...

Hang in there... Much love and comfort. Remember that for all the photo technology in the world, the best images are the ones we hold on to in our hearts... all else can be ignored.

Anonymous said...

Sending nothing but good thoughts your way. Its heartbreaking to read about your grama, but your storytelling skills are keeping her illness at bay for all of your readers. So glad you were able to be there for her b'day.

anniemcq said...

D. you do your Grama proud with your loving stories. I'm so sorry that this visit was so hard. Love you so much.

Anonymous said...

Dayna,

You love and support for you Grama are beautiful. I know it is hard, but you lend a certain grace to this difficult road you and your Grama are on.

patrick said...

What anniemcq said.

And... you make us miss her, too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails