Thursday, May 24, 2007

wondering about persephone


Pomme de Granada
Originally uploaded by The Department.


a found poem

I wonder now about Demeter and Persephone

Maybe Persephone was glad
To run off with the king of death
To his underground realm

Maybe Persephone thought Hades
Was the infinitely cooler older man
Who held the knowledge she sought

Maybe she loved the darkness
The six months of winter
The pomegranates
The freedom from her mother

Maybe she knew
That to be truly alive
Death had to be a part
Of the picture

Just as winter must


Another one found in Rebecca Solnit’s A Field Guide to Getting Lost.

I’m a chapter away from putting this book to bed and I still can’t decide if I like it. But I’ve enjoyed the ride – highly meditative, impressionistic. Not sure that we’ll arrive anywhere in particular by the time I close the cover – but the read is like a long desert ride -- good alone for what it is, just then, and for the way it takes you places off the map you didn't quite anticipate.

1 comment:

anniemcq said...

I dated Hades when I was 26.

I still shudder to think about it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails