Friday, September 05, 2008

wordles apart

I'm sure someone else has already done this somewhere else, but I wanted to see for myself.

What follows are word clouds generated by Wordle which give "greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text".

These word clouds were created from the texts of the acceptance speeches delivered by our presidential candidates, Barack Obama and John McCain.

The text of each speech was lifted from two of four (thanks, Anne!). I used the same presentation style for each and executed them in black and white so as not to unfairly bias the presentation of either one.

Embiggen Barack Obama's Wordle »


Embiggen John McCain's Wordle »

5 comments:

anniemcq said...

fairly telling, yes?

anne bryant said...

Interesting and very graphic. :) You should do one for Palin's speech.

amb said...

Ms. Hoo, I am so flattered that MY posts are useful on YOUR blog - thanks for the citing!

The weirdest thing for me so far in this race is my excitement over Sarah Palin being in the national spotlight. Not because I agree with her politics, but for a completely inane reason:

Finally, FINALLY, a girl with glassses is getting as much attention as the boys!

Eyeglasses have been a part of my face since I was four years old. It made me different from other girls, all the way through school and into college.

Up until now, there was never a woman in the national spotlight who wore glasses all the time, and looked great doing it.

Now there is hope for all the geeky, glasses-wearing girls out there - you too can "be somebody", in spite of your spectacles!

suttonhoo said...

re palin's speech: I did and no clear themes emerged. which I thought was interesting.

almost posted it but I'm trying not to be snarky.

re girls in glasses: that's cool, but let's hope for all of our sakes she doesn't last in the national spotlight for long. ;)

oh. shoot. that was snarky wasn't it?

mrtn said...

Palin is freaking me out because in any other country she would be the losing argument for McCain, but right now she seems to be energising the "base".

I just got my first pair of glasses yesterday, Anne - pictures coming soon in my blog - but I'm still failing to enjoy the emergence on the scene of a bespectacled girl, because her politics are insane. But I do like that glasses don't mean anything anymore.

Related Posts with Thumbnails