Sunday, March 12, 2006

first signs of spring


bud: first sighting
Originally uploaded by suttonhoo.
Sat next to a guy who worked for a gardening cataloger at a business dinner not too long ago. He threw out the question: “Guess where our best customers live?” My guesses were all wrong, so he took pity and gave me the answer: The Midwest.

His theory? The winters are so harsh here that we greet the Spring with a fierce "give me dark earth, let me grow something now" welcoming. (Okay: so those weren’t his exact words. But that was the gist.)

I’m beginning to feel it. We hit 70 this weekend. Just briefly. But long enough to remember how the sun feels when the planet swings round and skirts that near point of the elliptic. When green things bud and the birds return.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails