Sunday, March 26, 2006

n joy lfe


n joy lfe
Originally uploaded by suttonhoo.
“When I was in college, in the Vietnam- Watergate era, sullen mugs trumped smiley faces. ‘Happiness was very uncool,’ my friend Michael Kinsley recalls of his Harvard days. ‘There was a huge premium on being depressed.’ Leon Wiesteltier, who graduated from Columbia about the same time, agrees that ‘happiness was considered embarrassing, a mark of shallowness.’ He still calls joie de vivre ‘a sign that you’re not paying attention’.”

Maureen Dowd writing in Saturday's New York Times.

About the image: This license plate threw me a little bit. I'm a Western girl so I'm used to this kind of talk -- heck, I've got family in the Bay Area -- I'm just not used to encountering it with such unbridled enthusiasm in Chicago.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails