Monday, March 27, 2006

silly love songs

We’ve all been on the receiving end of one of those insufferable wedding compilation CDs full of enough sugary goo to put you off love and marriage for good. Having weathered several rounds of take-home treacle in the last few years, I was pleasantly, gratefully surprised to receive this little gem at the wedding of the most stylishly heart-warming couple of them all: Anne & Jay.

Jay did the mixing, and as you will see: Anne landed herself a goodie. I’m still listening and grinning like a goof eight months later.

together
I want you to be my baby • Louis Jordan
I’ve got a feeling I’m falling • Louis Armstrong
When U Love Somebody • Fruit Bats
Dream a Little Dream of Me • Mama Cass Elliot
Love is All Around • REM
Love Makes You Feel • Lou Reed
I want to be your mother’s son-in-law • Macy Gray
Ain’t That Love • Ray Charles
It’s Crazy • Sarah Vaughan
Summertime • Sidney Bechet
Near You • Marlene Dietrich
Dance Me to the End of Love • Madeleine Peyroux
A Thing Called Love • Johnny Cash
I Found a Reason • Velvet Underground
I Love Your Lovin’ Ways • Nina Simone
I’m in Love with a Girl • Big Star
Let’s Get Lost • Chet Baker
Not Given Lightly • Chris Knox
You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go • Madeleine Peyroux
Little Trip to Heaven (on the wings of love) • Tom Waits
My Little Corner of the World • Yo La Tengo
Such Great Heights • Iron & Wine
Love in Outer Space • Sun Ra

2 comments:

p2wy said...

I'm shocked by how wonderful that wedding CD is... how is the Marlene Dietrich song?

suttonhoo said...

100% Dietrich, baby -- which is to say: sublime. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails