Wednesday, December 13, 2006

speaking of stuff

In ancient societies, people gathered to ritually slaughter the fatted calf in an effort to renew the strength of the tribe for another year. After the sacrifice, which bonded them around loss, came feasting, which bonded them in fulfillment.

Today, when we arrive at the mall and hand over a portion of the money we’ve worked for all year, and then break bread at the food court, we likewise renew our optimism for the year ahead.

From Why We Shop in today's New York Times

I'm not buying it. I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons to buy stuff for the people we love -- but I suspect that grieving fatted calves has little to do with it.

3 comments:

Lolabola* said...

This reminds me of sacrifice story I read this morning.

Also dreamt about my grandfather last night and was surprised to wake up and read your post.

Lolabola* said...

I meant another, "another sacrifice story"

yeesh I can't seem to get these things right lately

suttonhoo said...

"A job well done is worth celebrating, but Turkish Airlines say staff went too far when they sacrificed a camel."

lol, lola -- too funny.

Related Posts with Thumbnails