Tuesday, September 04, 2007

word.

Then he went on to explain, in a mixture of English, Italian and hand gestures, that every city has a single word that defines it, that identifies most people who live there.

If you could read people's thoughts as they were passing you on the streets of any given place, you would discover that most of them are thinking the same thought.

Whatever that majority thought might be -- that is the word of the city. And if your personal word does not match the word of the city, then you don't really belong there.

From Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love, my summer's guilty pleasure (yes I *know* everyone else is reading it -- but if you're a chick and you read it you'll understand why).

Back from rambling and looking now first, for my word, and then second, for a city that will have me.

Feeling strangely disembodied and dislocated. But this is nothing new.

1 comment:

anniemcq said...

Hmmmmm - these are some pretty heavy thoughts, my friend. I wish your word would lead you out this way, but that is purely selfishness on my part. Sending you big hugs.

Related Posts with Thumbnails