Wednesday, December 05, 2007

butternuts


or how gourds got their reputation

Exhausted. Starved. Glad I baked up that metric ton of butternut squash that I scored from one of our last CSA hauls and froze the meat. Glad now that I can pull it from the freezer and cook up a pot of sweet soup in no time, freely adapted from my girl Georgia's Pumpkin Soup.[1]

Bake the pumpkin butternut squash. Mash it up good and blend 1 cup (or 2) of squash with 3 cups chicken veggie broth and 1 cup of cream or half & half. Blend until smooth; heat but do not simmer. Season with herb sea salt and freshly grated nutmeg.

Eat it up, yum.

[1] Realizing too that, even given all of the recipes I dip into over time, most of the ones that I share here at detritus come from one of three books, so let's have this post do double duty and serve up a recommendation for some killer cookbooks for your favorite cooker come Christmas:



3 comments:

anniemcq said...

you crack me up. Love the recipe - I'll give it a try soon

suttonhoo said...

such a relief that *somebody* gets me. ;)

mrtn said...

The butternut was, for a long time, the focus of a series of jokes in my family. We had no idea what it was or how you used it, just that it had a funny name. There was a song. (To the theme of "Spiderman", I believe)

Hey, has anyone else noticed that butternuts look kinda phallic?

Related Posts with Thumbnails