Friday, December 21, 2007

how I learned to stop worrying and love the loaf

waiting to be judged


We've spoken of the meatloaf before.

I have since acquired a new baking dish, and tackled the meatloaf once again.

This evening, as a matter of fact. And though I'm not, as a rule, much of a meat eater, I've found that it's quite as good as I remember it.

Even without the shards of glass.

Georgia's Meatloaf

1 lb of lean, twice-ground round steak the great "meatloaf mix" that they serve up at the City Meat Market down the street -- which I think is a trifectorate of beef, ethically-vile veal, and some pork

1/2 cup of soft breadcrumbs from homemade whole wheat bread I had a little challah that I cubed and froze around Thanksgiving -- so I used that for my crumbs

2 garlic cloves, minced

4-5 leaves fresh lovage, finely chopped
4-5 fresh celery leaves, finely chopped
(not much of a celery lover, so I left these out)

1/2 onion, finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon herb sea salt

1 egg, slightly beaten

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup home-canned tomato sauce, or high-quality commercial sauce (yeah: guess which one I opted for ;)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the meat with all the dry ingredients so that they are distributed evenly. Next, lightly beat the egg in a small bowl and mix it into the meat mixture. Finally, add the milk and blend into the meat mixture. Shape the mix into a loaf and place it in a greased baking pan. Pour the tomato sauce on the top of the meatloaf. Bake for 1 hour. Slice the loaf and serve on warmed plates.

Serves 6. Or 2 & one begging cat, over two nights. Provided one of the two does not carelessly & excessively heat the loaf pan and then transfer to a cold(er) surface.

Provided that, you should do just fine.

Adopted freely once again from, you guessed it, A Painter's Kitchen: Recipes from the Kitchen of Georgia O'Keefe (girl knew how to eat)

1 comment:

anniemcq said...

mmmmmmmeatloaf.

I'll give this a try soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails