Wednesday, December 19, 2007

ritual = receptacle


Green Tea
Originally uploaded by Patrick T Power.
© 2007 by Patrick T. Power.
All Rights Reserved.
I wanted to write about this, just note it, briefly, how ritual = receptacle, how something about the funeral this last weekend -- the Mass, the Meal -- helped to wrap up the grief, make it manageable. Contain the soft, wet edges that kept spilling into everything before.

I needed a pic of course, and then Patrick T. Power posted this, which he shot last night as we wrapped up the meal that we shared before I packed it up and headed home from Ann Arbor. He was kind enough to participate in a usability study that we were doing, schelpping all the way down from Lansing, and kind enough to share stories and a little Teriyaki after.

Another important receptacle: Stories. How we tell them. Why we tell them. That we tell them.

How they shape our world.



p.s. do you see that glimmer of silver light on my hand in the left hand side of the frame? that's my Nini's birthstone -- a ruby -- in a pave setting. it was a gift from my family for coordinating her funeral. so unnecessary. such a tremendous treasure. with an inscription that reads: "you are loved."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i think these rituals and receptacles are important. in taoist/buddhist culture, the first phase of the mourning and sending off process is very involved and lasts 49 days with the overall process going for two years. even after that, the death anniversary is always celebrated with lots of stories and of course food. it is a strange manner of staying connected, letting go and celebrating a person's life all at the same time.

i'm glad your travels and rituals have been meaningful and safe.

take care...

patrick said...

Thanks for blogging the photo, Dayna! I'm glad that the only one I took of you turned out as well as this did, and I'm glad Nini's ring made it into view.

Thanks for allowing me to blather as I did, too, but using one of your words, stories just seem to cascade at times.

It was a delight meeting you, and even more delightful talking with you. Much of what you said will remain with me and continue to inform me.

anniemcq said...

Oh the ring. Oh, my. The tears. So beautiful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails