Monday, July 17, 2006

hang it up

I have an unnatural fear of clothes hangers in a state of repose (goes back to an unhappy incident when I was a kid and hooked my foot on a hanger that was lying on the floor when I was pulling off a pair of jeans -- I pulled the hook end of the hanger up my leg and cut a deep and narrow and painful gash).

But I thought these were strangely beautiful.

Shot at the Oriental Institute -- a brilliant little museum on the University of Chicago campus. They call themselves the "best kept secret in Chicago". I suspect if they would just change their name (it's so pre-Said) they would get more traffic.

But then you'd lose all that great history...

1 comment:

suttonhoo said...

I'm pretty sure Said was the guy who shifted the orientation of the term with his book Orientalism -- by pointing out how we in the West objectify and make exotic "the Orient" -- makes us feel better about ourselves after we colonize whole countries, I guess.

Related Posts with Thumbnails