Monday, November 27, 2006

getting to know you


2nd self
Originally uploaded by oskarmilde.
Thanks to Flickr I know fascinating things about people I've never met. This from oskarmilde, a breast cancer survivor:
In December, I had a prophylactic mastectomy and TRAM flap reconstruction. The surgeon replaces the missing breasts with stomach fat, so besides new breasts I got a tummy tuck too. An abdominal muscle is rerouted to supply blood to reconstructed site. August 2002, I had a mastectomy and radiation to take care of some genetic breast cancer.

I waited 3 years before deciding to go through with the reconstruction. It was scary and psychologically tough, but well worth it. I would recommend it to anyone who needs it. For those of you who don't, refrain from telling those who do how lucky they are to get "free plastic surgery".

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails