Wednesday, September 06, 2006

more ugly food


Celeriac is one of those words, like coccyx, that I hesitate to say in public for fear that I’m going to offend someone without even trying. Fortunately the need for the word doesn’t come up much. I recently came into some, via my Green Earth veggie hook up, so I was bound and determined to make something interesting out of it.

Enter Patricia Wells’ Double Celery Soup. Which requires not only the celery root but also the celery attached to the root, and the leeks that came as part of my CSA haul and were looking for a home.

Mission accomplished, and the soup wasn’t that bad. But that doesn’t mean I’m ever going back there again.

Well, maybe. Once autumn settles in and I’m needing me some more soup that tastes an awful lot like an awful lot of celery. ('Cause for this soup, you've gotta really like celery.)

Patricia Well’s Double Celery Soup
  • 1 medium celery root (about 1 lb) peeled and diced – a formidable challenge

  • 10 celery ribs, cubed

  • 3 leeks trimmed, well rinsed and cut into thin rounds

  • Wells calls for a bouquet garni of thyme, bay leaves, and parsley tied together with a string. I was a bit sloppier than that and tossed in a handful of dried thyme, 2 bay leaves and some chopped parsley. Not quite as refined, but it got the job done.

  • 2 quarts of stock – Wells calls for home made chicken stock; I used veggie bouillon cubes. (I usually do.)


  • In a large saucepan, combine the celery root, celery, leeks, and herbs. Add the stock and season gently with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.

    Simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 25 minutes. Adjust the seasoning. Pour into warmed shallow soup bowls and serve immediately.


    Adapted from Patricia Wells’ Bistro Cooking

    No comments:

    Related Posts with Thumbnails