Wednesday, November 21, 2007

bodegeschmack

Bodegeschmack: Which is what the French call goût de terroir, the taste of the land. It is robust, boldly flavored, down-to-earth cooking.


R.W. Apple citing William Woys Weaver from his book Pennsylvania Dutch Country Cooking (Abbeville Press, 1993) in a piece that Saveur is re-running online regarding the Apple's Pennsylvania Dutch Thanksgiving.

Interestingly, Saveur neglects to mention that the esteemed R.W. Apple passed away last year.

btw: I'm adding a chair to my fantasy dinner table for Apple. Man knows good food and conversation like nobody's business. And did I mention? We'll be waiving the elbows on the table rule.

4 comments:

anniemcq said...

Love this! It reminds me of the time we were in Paris and Charley ordered something they described, in French of course, as a "rustic peasant dish". After one bite each, we just called it "butthole sausage". But I think it just got a new name!

suttonhoo said...

NOT what I was thinkin' when I posted this.

thanks for the image, though.

doll.

:D

Lolabola* said...

I love it when you link to old posts and as I'm reading them I'm thinking 'great post, this is how I would respond' and then I find I did sort of respond that way. Makes me feel all stable and such.

geschmack is one of the best things to say over and over

suttonhoo said...

lol -- that's right, baby: we've got history together. which means you're pretty much stuck. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails