Friday, September 29, 2006

changes

I’m in the habit of pulling random books off my bookshelf in the morning, in the room where I iron my clothes for the day, and while the iron amps up I open to a random page and read random snatches of whatever it is that the book is about to give me something to wonder about.

There are all kinds of strange books on that shelf.

This is the snatch that I grabbed this morning, on a day when the air was crisp for the first time and the season had clearly made up its mind to change:

SOME CHANGES
your particular heart: my
winter ear
will hear, you,
will. the broken
streak of
luck denotes a change

in seasons, love,
or sweaters
it makes no matter

your particular heart: insistent

~ Max Finstein


I had pulled another book from the shelf just before I pulled that last one – and here’s what was on that random page:

If one desires a change, one must be that change before that change can take place. ~ Gita Bellin

I hate it when that happens.

(No. Not really. I actually like it quite a bit.)

1 comment:

Lisa Johnson said...

That reminds me of the dictionary game. I'm not sure if I invented it, but I played it in college with my friends. You ask a question while holding the dictionary with your eyes closed and flip to a random page. The word is your answer.

Related Posts with Thumbnails