Friday, September 15, 2006

no brainer

The world is beginning to doubt the moral basis of our fight against terrorism. To redefine Common Article 3 would add to those doubts. Furthermore, it would put our own troops at risk.

General Colin L. Powell (Retired) in a letter to Senator John McCain, 13 September 2006. (Thanks to Paul at locussolus for the del.icio.us link to the PDF.)

Many years ago I sailed in Thailand on a boat populated by Naturists. Very nice people. Very naked people.

It’s important to keep in mind that sailboats are small places. Everyone sits where everyone else has sat many times in the course of one day.

Years later a friend reminded me of a comment that I made to her, when telling her the story of my sailing trip with the Naturists. She said that I said: “I just kept thinking: Your underwear is there to protect all of us.”

I’ll let you draw your own parallels to the Third Geneva Convention.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails