Wednesday, September 20, 2006

diplomacy is in the details

This evening, As It Happens -- a news show out of Canada that runs every night in Chicago on WBEZ -- reported on the reaction of US Ambassador to the UN, John Bolton, to Hugo Chávez’s derision of George W. Bush as a demon whose sulfuric stench still hung in the air of the room that he left shortly before.

They played a sound bite of Bolton as he refused to comment -- other than to say that Mr. Chavez was fortunate to have made his statement on US soil, where freedom of speech is tolerated. (I can’t cite the exact quote here because I had my hands full of kale and kielbasa – I was busy making dinner. But I suspect a good listen over at the As It Happens Archive will turn it up.)

Here’s what struck me as odd: The UN isn’t on US soil. Not really. It’s an international territory.

Isn’t John Bolton supposed to know that?

(Or maybe I’m just being picky.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails