Friday, February 23, 2007

speaking of movies


AbeBooks dropped by this afternoon to tell me that The Cat in the Hat is 50 years old.

That movie really freaked me out as a kid.

I don't like messes in movies. I don't like car chases that crash through fruit stands. I don't like it when two men are carrying a large pane of glass across the street and a large vehicle invariably crashes through it. Okay: I liked the Blues Brothers and the whole shopping mall thing -- but honestly, all I can think of when one of those scenes plays out is the pain, and the injury, and the property damage.

And don't try to tell me that everything was okay in the end with the Cat in his Hat and those innocent children because they put it all back together again before Mom in her sexy stilettos made it home: it was all a big LIE.

The kids knew it. The goldfish knew it. The cat knew it.

Mom suspected it.

And everything had changed.

Everything.


p.s. A First Edition copy is available for only $17,129.12 »

p.p.s. Green Eggs and Ham I can do. And Horton rocks the Whos.

6 comments:

Lolabola* said...

The cat in the hat freaked me out too. It was that or the other one, which ever one had the ring around the tub that kept spreading to stuff around it. Also the pending arrival of the angry mother!

I had a friend at a boring retail job who used to ask questions to kill time. One day the question was what food combination do you hate the most. Hers was green eggs and milk. (she's chinese and I guess green eggs, whatever they are, are eaten a lot in her household). So B and I took an old copy of Green Eggs and Ham and pasted the word milk over the word ham and changed it to Ilk-I-Filk or something and then painted a glass of milk over every picture of ham. One afternoon of giggles later and we gave it to her. Wish I still had it. It was brilliant.

suttonhoo said...

that is a great story. and what a great artifact -- I hope she still has it!

anniemcq said...

We read this at bedtime the other night. Joe-Henry is veeeerry law abiding, so he was really put out that these kids even let the Cat in the door. Don't they know they should NEVER open a door to a stranger? And why, Mom, did their Mommy leave them alone? You won't leave me alone will you?

All kinds of nightmares later, I'm like a zombie from lack of sleep. We won't be reading it again soon.

But I highly recommend "Oh, The Things You Can Think!" and "There's a Wocket In My Pocket". Sometime's I'll ask Charley if that's a Wocket in his pocket, or if he's just happy to see me.

Lolabola* said...

It's heartening to know that our future president has such high moral standards.

Mock Turtle said...

What a relief! I thought I was the only one who was freaked out by the Cat in the Hat.

I met Dr. Suess just before he died and got a signed copy of Green Eggs and Ham. As a child it was the only book I'd ever memorized. My ex-husband took the signed copy.

Fortunately, my mother was with me that day and got signed copies of Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, Horton Hears a Who and The ButterBattle Book so all is not lost.

suttonhoo said...

I think we may have achieved the critical mass we need to start a support group for Cat in the Hat survivors.

Related Posts with Thumbnails