Saturday, February 09, 2008

on the download

I am not listed on the United States Department of Treasury list of Specially Designated Nationals, Specially Designated Terrorists, and Specially Designated Narcotics Traffickers, nor am I listed on the United States Department of Commerce Table of Denial Orders.

I will not use the software for, and will not allow the software to be used for, any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, for the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons of mass destruction.

The strangest thing I've ever declared before downloading freeware.

To be fair: it also included export clauses. So, in addition to affirming that I am none of the above, I agreed that I wouldn't share the software with any of the above.

(I want our old world back.)

1 comment:

mrtn said...

You know, I suspect that if you were on the United States Department of Treasury list of Specially Designated Nationals, Specially Designated Terrorists, and Specially Designated Narcotics Traffickers, or listed on the United States Department of Commerce Table of Denial Orders, or planning on breaking the law, particularly by developing, designing or manufacturing nuclear, cheamical or biological weapons of mass destruction, there's a good chance you'd lie on the form and just go about your weapons-of-mass-destruction-producing day.

Security theatre is the phrase for what this is.

Related Posts with Thumbnails