Tuesday, June 06, 2006

gentle on my mind


cowboys, cowboys, COWBOYS!
Originally uploaded by suttonhoo.
A few years back I was hanging out in a karaoke bar in Seattle (I suspect I've already told you too much) when a guy stepped to the mic and sang "Gentle on My Mind" -- dedicating it to a leggy brunette in the crowd.

It was the first time I'd heard the song. Glenn Campbell covered in the '70s, but because I made it a point to avoid Campbell I, well, had never heard it.

That night it was absolutely perfect.

The lyrics, you'll know if you're familiar with them, would be caddish if they weren't so honest; the tune is straightforward -- not at all complicated -- but the way this cowboy sang it to his girl friend (it was clear from the way the song unfolded that there was no compound word in this relationship) it was a single perfect piece of sweetness, a perfect moment in time.

Glen does a good job with it, but it’s not quite up to par with my cowboy at the karaoke bar, who disappeared to his back table after he put the number to bed.

I never heard from him again, so since then I've had to settle for Glen »

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails